home
hassle free
maydos
 
TOURS | BEFORE YOU PACK | HOTEL RESERVATION | CONTACT US| LIVE SUPPORT
HOME | CONTACT US | SITEMAP
celebrating
FERRY TO GREEK ISLANDS
Click here to see time table of ferry to Greek Islands
   
TURSAB
TURKEY INFO => Canakkale
 
  GALLIPOLI NORTHERN PART
One of the main objectives throughout the campaign for the ANZAC soldiers was to capture the hill at Chunuk Bair. The hill was the second highest point in the central foothills and offered views of both the Aegean sea to the West and the Dardenelles straight to the east making it an ideal point for the allies to mount their guns. The hill was captured once on the 8th of August by NZ troops and lost again on the 10th. The hill is now the sight of the Chunuk bair cemetery and Chunuk Bair New Zealand memorial which bears the names of 850 men thought to have died there.
Johnston’s Jolly is the site of the allied and turkish trenches and a cemetery containing casualties from the capturing of Lone Pine in August 1915. The site takes it’s name from Colonel J L Johnston of the 11th West Australian Battalion who was often heard to comment that if he had Access to Howitzers he would have ‘a jolly good time’.
On August 6th the Australian troops stormed the strategically important plateau 400 at Lone Pine and held it right up until the allied evacuation. Lone Pine Cemetery contains the bodies of 482 identified men and 504 unidentified,183 Special Memorials , most of whom were Australian casualties.
The Lone Pine Memorial situated in the cemetery records the names of all the Australian soldiers lost in the area between April and December 1915 and the names of the New Zealander soldiers with no known graves lost before the August offensive.
Ari Burnu cemetery takes it’s name from the cape at the Northen end of Anzac Cove. it was one of the original cemeteries used throughout the campaign in 1915 and then later during the 1920’s graves were brought in from other parts of the Peninsula.
Also the original site of the dawn service for ANZAC day, but due to swelling numbers of visitors damage was being caused to grave markers and the gardens so the service was moved to the ANZAC commemorative site at North Beach near where the first landing took place.
Anzac cove (Anzak Koyu in Turkish) is the site of the first landing of the Australian and New Zealand troops on 25th April, 1915. The 600 metre stretch of beach became the main base for troops during the 8 month long battle and also the point where more supplies and troops could be brought ashore. it was not a safe base of operations by any means, being well within reaching distance of Turkish artillery.
‘Shrapnel Valley’ was the name the ANZACS gave to this gully because of the heavy shelling it recieved on the 26th of april and because of the strange whistling sound that the shrapnel would make before impact in this area.
it became an important route for getting supplies and reinforcements from Anzac Cove to the frontline allied trenches and also contained a cemetery that was in use during the campaign which today holds the remains of over 600 men.
Shell Green is a cemetery built on a steep hill and former corn field and was functioning during the campaign and grew even larger after the armistice. The area was captured by australian troops on the first day of the landing and held for the duration of the campaign, but was subject to frequent shellings due to it’s proximity to the turkish trenches.
‘Baby 700’ hill is in the Sari Bari range 700 feet above sea level and South of another hill of the same height. The northerly hill had been marked on allied maps with a large circle and baby 700 with a smaller circle hence the name. The summit of the hill was succesfully captured on the first morning of the landing, but lost in the same afternoon to the Turkish. t was never recaptured despite several major attempts.
Today the cemetery on the site contains the remains of 450 troops that died in the surrounding area.
Site of one the bloodiest battles of the Gallipoli campaign, the Nek is a thin ridge that linked the Anzac trenches at ‘russels top’ to the ‘Baby 700’ hill and the Turkish trenches. The battle field was a bottle neck and easily defended by both sides which made the Australian charge on the 7th August a particularly pointless and tragic waste of life. today it contains the remains of over 300 unidentied men. The tragic battle fought here was also the setting for Peter Weir’s iconic film ‘Gallipoli’ starring Mel Gibson.
Walker’s Ridge takes it’s name from Brigadier-General H.B Walker who was posted there to command the New Zealand Infantry Brigade in the early days of the campaign. The Ridge was captured on the first day of landing by mixed Anzac forces and then control handed over to New Zealander’s on 27th april.
The cemetery was used during the occupation with two plots seperated by an 18 metre stretch of ground through which a trench ran.
‘Quinn’s Post’ also known as ‘Bomba Sirt’ (bomb ridge) was established as a machine gun post on the day of the landing by New Zealand troops and a constant target for Turkish grenades and snipers who were only 15 metres away. t was a constant struggle to keep the position in allied hands and very heavy casualties were suffered by both sides. Historian Charles Bean described the securing and holding of this position as one of the finest achievements of the Anzac troops.
There are now over 500 men buried here, only 115 of whom are identified.
COURTNEY’S AND STEEL’S POST
Both Courtney’s and Steel’s Posts were taken on the day of the first landing and succesfully held until the evacuation. Courtney’s Post is located towards the northern end of the original Anzac line and draws it’s name from Lieut-Colonel R E Courtney and Steel’s post is located to the sout west and named for Major T H Steel.
The area is now a cemetery and memorial containing over 150 bodies.
Used as a burial site for the 4th Battalion Australian forces between April and June and then enlarged after the armistince with graves being moved there from nearby 3rd Battalion parade grounds and the battlegrounds. There are 7 unidentified burials and 116 identified within the grounds.
KABATEPE MUSEUM
The Kabatepe (or Gallipoli) museum contains a host of relics and artifacts from the campaign from all parties involved, including many personal belongings of soldiers as well as various weapons, ammunition and tools used during the campaign.
One of the most disturbing articles on display is the skull of a Turkish soldier with a bullet hole through his forehead and a shoe containing a bone from the man’s foot.
 
7th FIELD AMBULANCE CEMETERY
 
The 7th field ambulance cemetery was established by moving graves from many smaller sites throughout the peninsular and now contains the remains of 640 commonwealth servicemen. The site takes its name from the 7th Australian Field Ambulance which first landed in Gallipoli in September 1915.
 
EMBARKATION PIER
 
Built for the purpose of evacuating wounded allied soldiers from the battle of Sari Bair, the pier had to be abandoned after only 2 days due to the heavy shelling and rifle fire from the Turkish forces.
it’s now a cemetery holding the remains of 282 allied servicemen, only 20 of whom have been identified.
 
NEW ZEALAND No. 2 OUTPOST
 
The site created by the Cantebury Infantry Regiment of the New Zealand forces saw heavy fighting during May and became one of the main jumping off points for the battle of Sari Bair. The best well in the Anzac area was located here so a casualty clearing station and Dental clinic were also established in the area.
A small cemetery was established during the occupation and then in 1915 after the armistice the grave site was enlarged further.
 
 
Hill 60 was the location of the last major assault of the campaign launched on the 21st August 1915 to coincide with the British troops attack on Schmitar Hill on the Suvla front. Lasting 8 days, the objective was to gain control of the Northern slopes overlooking Suvla Bay. Troops did manage to capture the summit, but the North facing slopes still remained in Turkish control.
The cemetery on the site was used for the casualties after the battle and enlarged after the armistice and now holds the remains of over 750 men and a memorial to the New Zealand soldiers with no known graves.
 
SUVLA BAY
 
British IX Corps landed at Suvla Bay on the night of 6th August 1915 as part of a coordinated  offensive with the Anzac troops on Hill 60, 8 km to the South. Despite facing small opposition the offensive quickly reached a stalemate due to what is described as one of the most incompetent acts of generalship of the first world war and the Brittish commander in charge was dismissed for his performance.
 
 
Lala Baba hill was captured on the second day of the Suvla Bay offensive by British troops. The hill is between a salt lake and the southern side of Suvla bay.
The cemetery was constructed after the armistice with graves moved from 9 smaller cemeteries in the area.
 
 
Captured by the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers and the 11th Manchester British forces on the 7th August, this small hill just North of the salt lake at Suvla Bay is now the resting place for 699 commenwealth servicemen. The graves were moved here after the armistice from six different burial sights in the area.
 
 
Azmak cemetery was created along with the Hill 10 cemetery after the attempts to gain control of the Kiretch Tepe ridge and the high ground to the East of it as a part of the Suvla Bay operation. Members of the famous Sandringham Battalion of the Norfolk regiment are buried here.
 
 
‘Green Hill’ (Yilghin Burnu) was captured as part of the Suvla Bay landing on 7th August 1915 but no advance was made from this point and it remained as a part of the front line until the allies withdrew in late december.
The cemetery was established after the armistice with remains from the surrounding battlegrounds and small cemeteries. There is 382 identified graves and a staggering 2472 unknown.
 
 
The majority of burials at this site are New Zealanders from the Cantebury Mounted Rifles. It’s centrally located within the original Anzac landing area and was established after the armistice.
 
THE FARM
 
This position was secured by the allies on the 6th August as a part of the battle for Chunuk Bair, but lost four days later after a massive push from the Turkish forces to recover the ground. ‘The Farm’ gained it’s name from a small stone shephard’s hut in the area.

There are now 645 bodies in the cemetery brought in from the surrounding battlegrounds after the armistice.

 
 
 Copyright © 2010 Anzac House Hassle Free Travel Agency